Amidst the rampant COVID-19 pandemic in 2021, early 2022, Lobster Technology aspired to leverage our expertise, with the hope of aiding in pandemic prevention and safeguarding both public health and business security.
The reason for the creation of the solution
In early January 2022, there were over 1,000,000 daily reported cases in the United States, and the mortality rates were 63% greater than those in other affluent nations. To address this challenge, companies needed to discover methods to keep their business operational while also ensuring the safety of both employees and customers. Lobster Technologies and Pacific Office Automation recognized profoundly the necessity of providing the market and society with a touchless identification solution to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission, and hence the ‘No-Contact Temperature Scanning Kiosk’ solution was born.
A solution to overcome the COVID-19 pandemic
Immediately after conceiving the idea, we joined forces with POA’s professional engineers to plan, design the system’s structure, and collaborate with Chinese partners to integrate the hardware. Additionally, we designed the most user-friendly management interface for kiosk owners. After six months of relentless work, we introduced the first version of the ‘No-Contact Temperature Scanning Kiosk.’ We established an automatic cloud-based update system along with automation and orchestration services to ensure the stable operation of the devices. Customers could now enjoy fantastic features, ensure absolute security for their companies, and minimize the risk of Covid 19 transmission:
- Swift Temperature Scanning: Our Temperature Scanning Kiosk was meticulously designed for rapid and precise body temperature measurements in less than one second, ensuring minimal disruption to daily activities.
- Facial Recognition and Mask Compatibility: The kiosk utilized advanced facial recognition technology capable of identifying individuals even when they wore masks, ensuring efficient access control.
- Versatile Integration and Placement Options: The kiosk seamlessly integrated with doors, gates, and turnstiles, providing installation flexibility, whether on stands or desktops.
- Adjustable Thresholds and Audible Alerts: Organizations had the flexibility to set temperature thresholds and customize the system to deliver verbal alerts or success messages during scanning.
- Email Notifications and On-the-Spot Badge Printing: Our system supported personalized email notifications for real-time alerts to designated personnel. Additionally, it facilitated immediate badge printing for quick and easy identification.
No touch no transmission
Immediately after its market launch, the No-Contact Temperature Scanning Kiosk received a strong response. In just two months on the market, the product had been deployed at over 1,000 kiosks across the United States, assisting companies in re-establishing operations while ensuring security and health for both employees and customers.
The software was compatible with over 500 printer models available on the market, making it easy for customers to experience the product’s features on their existing hardware. Sustainable development has always been our top priority in software development, so to minimize company resources and reduce the energy consumption of physical servers, we migrated 99% of data to the cloud and maintained 0 downtime throughout operation.
Lobster areas of expertise used in this product
Data and analytics
Quality assurance (QA)
Application dependency mapping
Automation and orchestration
Microsoft AD Migration
Change Management Support
Pacific Office Automation – leader in office management solutions
Pacific Office Automation started in 1976 in Portland, Oregon, selling copy machines. Forty-four years later, POA is a recognized leader in office management solutions, offering state-of-the-art technology and award-winning customer service that has helped them grow to 35 offices throughout Oregon, Washington, California, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, & Texas. With a business philosophy oriented towards benefiting customers, employees, and society, POA has maintained its leading position in the industry.